Christmas Advent Candles
I am so excited about this post. This is a project I came up with at the tail end of the Christmas season last year and I have been waiting all of this time to give it a try. My kids love to count down the days until Christmas (really, I am just as bad) so the more ways to count down, the better. I learned the technique for this project from a friend who was a Close To my Heart consultant (hi, Doree) and I have always wanted to do it more because, seriously, it is so cool!
What you need is:
- 1 tapered candle (mine are 10”)
- 1 piece of white tissue paper cut into an 8 1/2” x 11” rectangle
- a heat tool or hair dryer
That’s it! That’s all you need!
How to do it:
First you need to prepare the numbers for the candle. Cut your tissue paper down to the same size a regular piece of paper. On a computer create a line of numbers with 1 at the top and 12 at the bottom going down the page, like this...
Print your line of numbers on the tissue paper. This can be tricky, what I ended up doing was taping my tissue paper to a piece of card stock and then printing it because my printer kept eating the tissue paper even if it was taped to a regular paper. After it’s printed cut it down as close to the numbers as you can get.
Now grab your candle and place the number strip going down it the way you like and hold it in place with your thumb. Grab you hair dryer or heat tool and, starting at number 1, hold the heat a few inches away from the candle and blow it back and forth over the the tissue paper. What is going to happen is the wax behind the paper is going to melt and little and when it does it will fuse with the tissue paper and the paper will become translucent (see in the picture how right around the 6 it's not melted). Once it’s translucent you’ve got it on so you can move down the candle until the whole piece of paper is secured. Be careful not to heat one place too much, you don't want the wax to drip. Remember, less is more, so don't go holding the heat right up against the candle right when you start. You only need to melt it a little for this to work.
Now that you’ve got your candle, its fun to do a little some thing every night you light it. We put together three list ideas for the 12 days and printed them on cute card stock to keep with the candle. Yes, my neighbors will all be getting one of these...
The True Meaning of the 12 Days of Christmas
1 The Partridge in a Pear Tree=Jesus Christ, the Son of God
2 Turtle Doves=The Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens=Faith, Hope, and Charity
4 Calling Birds=The Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings=The First Five Books of the Old Testament which gives the history of man’s fall from grace.
6 Geese A-Laying=The Six Days of Creation
7 Swans A-Swimming=The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
8 Maids A-Milking=The Eight Beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing=The Nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-Leaping=The Ten Commandments
11 Pipers Piping=The Eleven Faithful Apostles
12 Drummers Drumming=The Twelve Points of Doctrine in the Apostle’s Creed
*In the song “true love” refers to God, the “me” who receives the presents refers to every baptized person.
12 Days of
the Spirit of Christmas
1. Say “Merry Christmas” to every single person you meet.
2. Leave rolled up dollars with a note in the $1 section of a store.
3. Go to a busy place and hold the door open for 15 minutes for people.
4.Buy 3 helium balloons and hand them out to kids in a store.
5. Write a message of gratitude to someone who has touched your life.
6.Go threw a drive threw and pay for the car behind you.
7. Take treats to your local fire department or police station.
8. Leave kid made book marks at the local library.
9.Tape candy canes to ATMs around town.
10. Leave change taped to a vending machine.
11.Be an EXTRA polite driver/friend/family member/employee.
12. Decorate a neighbor’s door with paper snow flakes and side walk with chalk.
12 Days of Christmas
- Psalm 27:1How is the Lord my light?
- John 13:34-35Do I keep all of the commandments?
- Isaiah 41:10From whom do I get my strength?
- Matthew 5:16How can I let my light shine today?
- Isaiah 1:18Do I understand what Christ did for me?
- John 14:16-17, 26How can the Holy Spirit help me become more like Christ?
- John 15:13-14Do I have a true understanding of the sacrifice my Savior made for me?
- Luke 22:42, 23:46Wherein lies the power of Christ?
- Timothy 4:12Do I cleave unto the truth & do I teach those around me to stand for righteousness?
- John 14:27Do I search of inner peace and happiness?
- Matthew 6:19-21What are my values, my core beliefs and priorities?
- Luke 2:1-20What can I do to remember Christ every day?
There you have it, all the hard work done for you. Now all you have to do is sit on the couch and eat bonbons until Christmas comes (yeah, right).